Are you one of the millions of Americans suffering from facial and neck pain or headaches and migraines? The cause may be TMJ disorder, or TMD.
The TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, attaches the lower jawbone to the rest of the skull. You use these joints constantly while you speak, eat, and yawn. If you are suffering from discomfort in these areas, simple tasks like chewing or socializing can become very difficult.
TMJ disorder can cause a wide range of symptoms, including:
- Pain around the jaw
- Ringing or buzzing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Pain in the ears
- Frequent migraines or headaches
- Aching in the neck or face
- Clicking or popping sounds coming from the jawbone
- Lock jaw or difficulty opening the mouth
- Swelling in the face
- A change in bite or alignment of the top and bottom teeth
If you are suffering from these symptoms, give us a call. Dr. Ross or Dr. Earl can complete an in-depth analysis that tells us if you are suffering from TMD and how we can best treat you.
You can prevent or reduce TMJ symptoms with tricks like:
- Making an effort to relax the facial muscles
- Wear a night guard to reduce tooth grinding (bruxism)
- Exercise good posture
- Avoid chewing gum
- Massage muscles around the jaw
Unfortunately, these practices do not completely reverse TMJ disorder, but with the help of a TMJ specialist, we can completely eliminate your symptoms and allow your jaw to heal.
TMJ Therapy with Dr. Earl and Dr. Ross
We would love to provide you with personalized TMJ therapy to return your jawbone to full working order. We often create custom-made TMJ mouthguards to give your overworked muscles a break during the night. These customized mouthguards are a simple way to forever relieve your TMJ symptoms.
A few of the other TMD treatments we may suggest include:
- Physical therapy and massage
- Changing the bite with dental crowns
- Full smile reconstruction
- Prescription pain relievers
If you are suffering from TMD, it’s time to find a dentist who has experience with TMJ therapy. Give us a call today to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists and start your journey towards comfort that lasts!